Tuesday, January 20, 2009

News Writing Squishes Dreams

Umm you know all those journalism dreams I never had? They're destroyed.
I had a panic attack this morning. I’m having one NOW!
Journalism class... news writing, you know... where we learn to write news.
It's taught by my advisor, the one who doesn't like me to the point she doesn't remember me…
She scares me and, at least, once a quarter makes me cry.
So... today we actually started writing an “article”
My first article EVER, arguably…
It was practice of course
But I start panicking
And I'm still panicking
I was the last one out of the room
She was talking... and the girl next to me smelled funny.... and I was trying to write on a PC...
My article just looked completely wrong. The printer was mean and wouldn’t print.
I'm sure she's going to give it back to me, and say, “Find a new major!”
And I needed to talk to one of the girls about getting her notes because the last girl is an uptight loon…
But I was the last one out and missed her. AH!
There probably is another section I could take, but this is the one that worked in my schedule and I can't drop it without her knowing... I'd need her to help me drop it
It's just a horribly vicious circle
Dude... I am by far not the stupidest person in the Journalism program… Not even in that class!
But... I've never written an article before! It isn't my fault our High School paper sucked and took classes that were worth my time!
I didn't even write anything more than the facts… I had no chance to add in style!
We have these stylebooks that she wants us to look EVERYTHING up in. It's a glorified dictionary of style
I should just teach 6th-graders English...

I had lunch with Viv. Now my tummy hurts. Binge, depression eating is not good for your health.

Love me, or hate me, but I'm not going to turn on the Obama inauguration just to pretend I'm paying attention. I KNOW it’s historical. I KNOW I should care, but I don’t. On my scale of importance/priorities Obama’s inauguration rates pretty darn low. Sadly, I’m one of those people who, until it affects them directly, they couldn’t give a damn.
I’m interested in politics & his policies… his work in the future I’ll pay attention to, but I honestly don’t find any interest in a ceremony transitioning power from one man to another which has unceremoniously already happened. I went to an Eagle Scout induction, graduations… it’s for those people who are participating. The people of the United States are employing him and for those who care, enjoy for me as well. I’ll read about it later and possibly watch it at my leisure.

No comments: