PR & the Law
System of rules that govern society
Areas of legal concern
First amendment
• Commercial speech: not protected under the 1st Amendment – messages can be regulated in interest of public health, safety, consumer protection
• Federal Trade Commission: assures fair dealing in relation to goods and services in terms of such things as truth in advertising and product publicity.
• Securities & Exchange Commission: oversees trade of stocks and bonds and operations of financial markets
• Food & Drug Administration: deals with the efficacy, labeling, packaging, and sale of food, drugs, cosmetics
• Federal communications commission: regulates telecommunications
Insider trading
Postal Service
Addresses
Type of material that can be mailed
Physical proportions and characteristics of materials mailed
Defamation: any communication that holds a person up to contempt, hatred, ridicule, scorn.
Written defamation: Libel
Spoken: Slander
Disclosure
Ethics
Privacy
Copyright
Censorship
Man… my head hurts today.
I woke up in particularly unsocial mood. I think it may have something to do with the weather. I’m not a big fan of the cold and when I woke up it was approximately 11 degrees outside. This ties into my previous complaint about not knowing how to dress, seeing I’m limited with my cast. I probably didn’t make the appropriate decision with a tank top… too late now.
Some Pretty Sweet Articles I Saw on the NY Times Website:
Making Room for Miss Manners Is a Parenting Basic: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/health/13klas.html?em
Anti-Love Drug May Be Ticket to Bliss:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/science/13tier.html?em
Love the Long Eyelashes. Who’s Your Doctor?: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/health/research/14lash.html?em
Remind me to say something about how late Anthropology went… how it effected dinner plans… blah blah blah…
I have some quotes too.
I really should read this textbook. I’m not getting anything from these lectures… well besides an hour and a half of good writing time. I just can’t listen to this woman. Her voice is so irritating… she seems so confused with her words, well maybe not confused, but slow & it often makes her seem less intelligent than she probably is… Who am I to judge her though?
In my LGI class we practiced teaching. There are horrible instances when the class will be silent and you have to pull teeth to get them to talk or get interested. This woman has been teaching for lord knows how many years and she’s just plain old, I’d think/expect her to have this teaching thing down. Courtenay, my boss, graduated from OU in something like Recreation management… she’s better at teaching than my professor, in my opinion… Plus, she’s going over things I learned maybe 2 quarters ago in J101. I’m going to stop taking note until she tells me something I don’t know or have previous notes…
I woke up at around 8:30. My mom can texted & called me. My phone or sleeping me must have called her at around 4 a.m. She was freaking out thinking I was dead or rape… yadda, yadda… She then proceeded to tell my father who added additional worry. I should blame the dog, she was the one who heard the phone and came upstairs to wake Mom up. Smart dog. Really smart dog.
My first class is at 10 a.m. WGS… We’re discussing genders vs. sexes… At first, the class warmed up my mood, but then… this boy named Travis (?) started speaking. From previous classes I’ve learned that he is… how to put it nicely? Not open to women’s rights.
We were doing a class exercise where we named masculine and feminine stereotype characteristics. These were generalizations… I’m not sure if some of my classmates heard correctly, or understood what stereotypes/generalizations mean. Stereotypes are most often NOT true… Generalizations are exactly what they sound like; they are general, generic… It does NOT mean that everyone does/has/is what we’re saying in class GOSH DARNIT. We wasted so much time because people obviously didn’t understand this concept. I obviously should keep my mouth shut in this class, but if I don’t participate I’ll fall asleep. This boy made me SO angry… I said that Jane Austen was a role model for women and Chuck Norris for men. I didn’t expect guys to know who Jane Austen is or what she wrote… Travis seems who was ignorant of Jane Austen, suggested that girls should Idolize Heidi Klume. When I tried to explain who Jane Austen was he asked if she was hot… It is people like these guys in class that women like myself feel that our body image is more important than our minds. They are the reason women are starving themselves and throwing up their meals. They are the reason that young girls look up to super models and if they don’t look like them they have no sense of worth. I wonder if he was forced to take this class… I just… ugh… I want him to understand so badly it frustrates me. I don’t know how guys like this can make it through life or how women are attracted to them… how could the women in his life let him think this way? It’s just so wrong. The way he speaks about women makes me feel like he thinks were objects… it would be mean to say that no one will ever love him, but there probably is some stupid woman out there who is a disgrace to us all.
I’m feeling really bad for speaking so ill of another human being. He has a long life ahead of him (I assume) and maybe he’ll change his ways. I hope he does, at least. He seems to be an extroverted, opinionated, healthy person. I’ll do my best to try and understand his point of view. Maybe he’s a great guy in another setting? This is so uncharacteristically optimistic of me… maybe I’ve hit a break through.
We get Monday off…
There is going to be a third Underworld movie (http://www.entertheunderworld.com/).
Ian Go Fast
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment